MOROCCAN BEEF STEW
- Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 750g Chuck steak
- 1 Onion (I usually use red)
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1/2c beef stock (I normally use a beef stock pot and add about a cup of water)
- 1/3c currants
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- Cut brown onion and add to slow cooker. Seal meat in batches and add to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on high for 6-8hours (you could also put it on at the start of the day and leave on low so it is ready when you get home from work).
- If needed, mix cornflour and water to form a paste and add to slow cooker 20mins prior to serving to thicken the sauce.
- Serve with cous cous and steamed broccoli.
Liz normally adds chickpeas, zucchini and a carrot to the above recipe. This is a great example of not sticking exactly to a recipe. If you have a favourite recipe but know it could do with some additional colour, then why not add some additional vegetables. All recipes can be changed and adapted to suit your likes, dislikes or add some additional nutrients.
Serving the stew with some fresh steamed greens is a great idea. Other serving suggestions for this recipe could also include quinoa, cauliflower rice, brown rice or mashed potato.